One-half lb of smoked halibut (recipe below)
1 8 oz block of softened cream cheese
1 cup of sour cream
1 bunch of green onions
1-3 diced jalapenos, depending on your spice preference
Two shallots diced
1/2 tablespoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon pepper (fresh ground is best)
Microgreens or chives – if available to top off the dish before serving
- Smoke 1/2 lb halibut skin side down on the lowest smoke temperature your smoker allows (ideally 180 degrees). Smoke fish until it reaches an internal temp of 135°F/57°C. Depending on your smoker and the temperature outside around 1.5 -2 hours. If your smoker goes lower I recommend smoking longer for more flavor!
- Remove smoked halibut from skin if it still had the skin on when you defrosted it.
- Flake halibut into bowl and mix all ingredients except chives/micro greens.
- Place is baking dish and put back in the smoker on at 225°F until bubbly (roughly two hours) and stir every thirty minutes or so. You could also heat it back up in the oven and then let it cool and serve at room temperature if you want to make it ahead. But for best flavor I recommend smoking it for these second cook and serving hot if possible!
- Sprinkle chives and microgreens on top and serve with fresh sourdough bread or crackers of choice!